K Visas Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the easiest place to get married in Thailand?

In Thailand, marriage is the legal process of registering your marriage with the local provincial government. The registration has to occur at specific offices which has jurisdiction over married couple. A marriage ceremony is not sufficient to make a couple legally married in Thailand.

So it is possible to have an elaborate marriage ceremony in Thailand without being married. If the question is about where is the best place to have a marriage ceremony, the location is a decision left to the couple. Thailand is a gorgeous and cost effective place to have a marriage ceremony. The location will also depend on the type of marriage ceremony. See the following websites to provide you with an idea of a marriage ceremony in Thailand.

The K1 visa is a single entry visa valid for 90 days available to your Thai fiancé when entering the USA with the express purpose of getting married.

The K3 visa on the other hand is a two year “multiple entry visa” which is used by a foreign spouse of a US citizen to enter the U.S. to wait with the U.S. Citizen while their permanent residency case is processing. Each entry into the U.S. under the K-3 visa will allow them to stay in the U.S. for two years.

Planning your marriage based on visa processing times and immigration procedures might not be romantic but it is practical.

If you want your love one to be with you as fast as you can in the United States, the K-1 Visa is quicker than the K-3 or CR-1. However the K-1 visa only provides a 90-day stay where the U.S. citizen and foreign national must get married. But during this 90-day period, the couple will get the opportunity to be together and see if they are compatible living in the United States before they become legally married.

The K-3 visa takes longer to process but it grants the foreign national a multiple entry visa and grants them a 2 year stay in the United States with every entry. In addition, if the initial I-130 immigrant petitioner prior to the K-3 petition, the spouse could enter the United States and receive their permanent residency status immediately.

If you are getting married in Thailand and you have property, it might make sense to have a prenuptial agreement signed before marriage in Thailand where your Thai fiancé will have legal counsel who speaks their language. In case of a breakdown of the marriage, it will make a divorce easier in Thailand.

The K1 visa is generally quicker to process than a K3 visa because the K-3 visa has multiple additional steps and require documentation.

A registered law firm in Thailand will assist you and your Thai fiancé or Thai spouse with properly preparing the application package. They can also help direct your fiancé or spouse on how to obtain the required documentation. If difficulties arise with your case, a U.S. immigration attorney or immigration specialist can assist in responding to the issues. In addition, the law firm should also prepare your spouse for the interview at the US Embassy.

It is best to speak to your attorney or immigration specialist with any questions or concerns. Before signing anything or paying money, ensure that your questions and concerns are addressed including any guarantees.

Your fiancé will be inspected at the airport and provided a 90-day period of stay. During that 90-day period, you and your fiancé have to get married. After the marriage, you and your new spouse can file for adjustment of status so your fiancé can obtain U.S. permanent resident status.

The average processing time is about 6-8 months after filing the initial petition.

The K1 Visas is valid for only 6 months from the date of issue.